Well, actually, if we're speaking technically about our daughter's birth day, then tomorrow's actually more likely the day.
I have not gone into labor spontaneously as I had hoped, but I do feel like my body is more prepared to give birth than it was a few days ago. I've had a few light contractions, nothing significant, so I'm trying not to get my hopes up for "good news" when they check my cervix tonight. But my body does feel rested (and not lethargic, as I had worried about when learning of the 4 days of bed rest I would be on), and I had one final "induction" massage with my Doula (Patti) yesterday, to try and kick things into action. Patti said my joints felt looser, so the prostoglandins (sp?) maybe have kicked in.
Right now Ben and Mark are taking a nap. I slept for three hours this morning while they went to church and the grocery store, and I'm glad I did, because my stomach is all in knots right now --- no way I would be able to sleep! We had a nice lunch together (fancy sandwiches!), and then I lay on Ben's bed and watched Mark and Ben rough house for a little while before Ben's nap. We read two big brother books to Ben, talked about how his sister would be born tonight, and tucked him in for the last time as an only child. When he gets up (after the routine video and chocolate chips on the couch), he and Mark are going to make cupcakes together to celebrate both his sister's upcoming birthday, as well as Grandpa Howard's birthday, which was just this past Thursday. We'll then finish packing our bags, picking up the house (still trying to honor the bed rest, so I may just watch Mark pick up the house. :) ), and then we're all headed to Olive Garden for one last meal as a family of three. Once I get to the hospital, I'm expecting to not be able to drink or eat anything, although Patti says they may let me have juice, so we're packing a few juice boxes, just in case.
Then Mark and Ben are going to pick up my dad from the airport at 7:30. He and my mom were scheduled to arrive on baby's due date (4/1), but when we learned about the planned induction, Grandpa changed his flight so he could be here to take care of the B-dogg. My mom will still arrive on Thursday. They'll bring my dad back here to get settled in, and then Mark and I are supposed to arrive at the hospital at 10 pm tonight.
Depending on how things go tonight, Mark may try to post little updates on the blog, as the hospital is supposed to have wireless access. I'll get started on Cervidiil, a medicine that is supposed to "ripen" the cervix, and then supposedly sleep through the night at the hospital. Since I'm supposed to be able to sleep, I figured I wouldn't really be able to feel the medicine, but a friend told me that it actually causes contractions, which I guess makes sense, or how else would it work? So depending on how strongly it kicks in, will determine how much sleep we get tonight. That was part of the reasoning for the three hour nap this morning. :)
In the morning, they'll start the pitocin (which my doctor assures me will be "drip by drip," nothing fast or drastic, and then we hope to welcome our daughter sometime tomorrow!
So that's the plan. I'm both very nervous about the whole induction process and also excited that it's finally time to meet this little girl. We trust the doctor, and our doula has been encouraging and supportive, so we are all hopeful for the best.
Stay tuned!
Sunday, March 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I am so excited for you and can't wait to hear that she has arrived. I hope you do get to sleep tonight and you'll be in my prayers! Love you!
I have goose bumps! How exciting! We cant wait for the arrival of your little girl! I am sending thoughts of a smooth fast labor your way!
SO Exciting!!!! I hope you get some sleep! I'll be checking all tomorrow for any updates!
ahhhh!!!! i just can't wait. LOVE all the updates by the way. keep them up. hope all is going well today. love you guys! all FOUR of you.
Post a Comment