We had the ultrasound this afternoon. The good news is that the baby is head down! I was really surprised, as I thought she was probably still sideways. I went for a massage with our doula on Monday, and I could definitely tell that she was able to move her to a more head down position, but from what I could tell, she didn't exactly seem to stay that way. So, yeah, baby girl --- now please just stay that way!
However, the ultrasound showed less amniotic fluid than the doctor would like to see, so I am now on bed rest for the next few days. So yes, I am typing this laying sideways with a laptop in our bed. And we are scheduled to go in for an induction on Sunday night.
It is really strange to know what the probable birthday will be for our daughter (Monday, March 29). I'm really hoping to spontaneously go into labor before that, but it seems unlikely, as I have so far had very few contractions, and my cervix is still completely closed and not at all effaced.
It's also strange to have a sudden ending to this stage of our life, which just feels premature. We're no longer just a carefree family of three, as I can't play Benjamin's hiding games or dance with him now. And come Monday, we'll have a new baby, so our lives will be so different. We knew this change was coming - and coming very soon - but it just feels so strange, and somewhat sad, to be in this limbo of true waiting now. Partially because I felt just the same as I did this morning, but now I have to be "careful" of my activity.
And I am scared of being induced. Scared that it won't go well and that I will end up with a c-section. Scared that it will be too early, and the baby won't be ready to be born, particularly because she is measuring quite a bit smaller than Ben (she is now just under 7 pounds, whereas Ben was 8.5 lbs when he was born). Logically, I know the induction is just three days before her due date, and since we used family planning methods, we are certain of her conception date. But this sudden change of plans is hard to embrace. I'm scared that my body will not show any more signs of being ready to have this baby come Sunday night, since I will be in bed in the interim, which is supposed to have the opposite effect of kicking your body into labor. And sad that potentially my last birth experience may not be the "natural" one that I had been hoping for.
But will all this said, I am so grateful that she turned head down. I really did not want to make a decision about how to proceed with a breech baby (which most likely would have been the decision to schedule a c-section). Grateful that I still have a chance to have the birth experience we hoped for, even if it starts out a little differently than we had planned.
And of course, I am so grateful to meet this daughter of ours very soon!
So please wish me patience and peace of mind as I lay here waiting for the next few days. Perhaps the next post will have pictures of our newborn daughter!
Wednesday, March 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
YAY for the head down! Good to know that you're confident in the massage techniques! With being induced - you know at least one successful story :). Tip - when the nurse pops in the room to ask how you are - don't smile huge and say "great!" - LOL. Next thing I know, they made my contractions 30 sec apart. I didn't know that's why they were asking :) - lol. Anyway - everything went as perfect as it could being induced!
Sorry to hear your on bed rest. Maybe Ben can come in and dance next to the bed to keep you entertained! Good luck with the next few days and I'll be praying for a natural birth afterall.
I am so glad she is head down! She probably will stay that way now. And you never know when you may go into labor! She may just surprise you, and I hope that she does! I'll be praying for you all!
Katherine, It's good to hear she is head down and you still have the potential to go natural. I think almost every woman dreams of going natural at some point in child birth, but the crazy truth is that babies and bodies don't always mix. That was my big dream, and certainly was not ready to have a C-section when we went in with Josh. But I will say that once he was here I didn't think about how he got here (much). I was sad it came to being a C-section, but was glad we had a healthy baby in the end. Life will change, but I would say that the change from 0-1 was a bigger change than 1-2. Just enjoy these last few days and let us know if you need us for anything at all!
I'm excited for you! Thanks for sharing all your concerns - now I'm just waiting for updates to make sure it all turns out ok. Can't wait to meet the new baby!We love you!
Good Luck, hoping she decides she's ready to come as you're driving to the hospital to be induced!!!
Can't wait to see pictures of Ben's little sister!!!
Post a Comment