First, yesterday, Benjamin had a Valentine's Day party at school. They made valentines for Mom & Dad (see picture below), and apparently everyone but us brought valentine's cards/treats for their classmates. :) I had asked his teacher last week what I was supposed to bring for Valentine's Day, and she said "the kids aren't terribly interested in the cards, so don't worry about sending anything" - so I was a bit embarrassed to bring home the valentine's cards, stickers, candies and playdough that his classmates gifted him. :)
Benjamin also got some early valentine's day love from Sophia, one of his older classmates (she's almost 3). When Mark arrived to pick-up Ben yesterday, he was laying on his mat - looking like he was still waking up (they take naps at the end of the day - sometimes we have to wake him up when we arrive) - and Sophia was quietly stroking his hair. I wish I could have seen it - it sounds so sweet. Today (we'll get to why today in a moment), Ben's teacher (Michelle) was telling us that Sophia has taken Benjamin under her wing. She follows him around, helping him out. When he's especially "mouthy", Michelle gives him a teether to chew on. Apparently, when he leaves it somewhere, Sophia takes it to him, so he won't be without it. She also does things like hold his hand and walk him to the slide when they go outside (I'm sure he's perfectly capable of finding the slide on his own, but she doesn't know that), etc. Very sweet. Mark congratulated Ben on getting his hair stroked by a girl at such a very young age. Perhaps we have a future ladies' man on our hands? :)
This morning, Mark made French Toast and we enjoyed a family breakfast together, and then opened valentines. Thank you to all our friends & family for the special gifts for Benjamin (particularly because I didn't buy anything for him this year)! I then opened my gift from Mark - a robe, which Benjamin was very excited to try on.

And just a little while ago, Michelle came for our "home visit" - which is a visit planned soon after starting at the school - so the child can spend some time with the teacher in a familiar environment. Benjamin went NUTS. Apparently, this is a very common reaction - showing off for teacher. He was running at full speed all around the house, shouting, laughing, spinning in circles, acting like a crazy boy. It was really quite funny to see. I don't know that I have seen this child carry on with such vigor for such a long time. He's certainly going to sleep well this afternoon!
Tonight, we are taking Benjamin to our friends' house to babysit for their almost-3 year old and their newborn, so that they can go on a date. Tomorrow we are going to the Celtic Festival at Ben's school/church, and then tomorrow night, Mark and I have a date of our own!!
We hope you all have a wonderful Valentines Day - with lots of love from the Griffiths!
(ps - I'll try to post some pictures of the house this afternoon during Ben's nap...)
3 comments:
Katherine, Mark, and Benjamin - My grandmother, Sophie Jacobsen (I called her Nonny), would have smiled to see the little girl, Sophia, being so sweet with Benjamin - Who can resist that cute little guy? It was really nice to hear that he has a new friend at school! The home visit sounds like great fun - dad and I can just see him spinning around in delight! Love, mom.
Don't fret at not taking anything to school for his classmates. I didn't do it the first time either, but found out later it was totally optional. But, you know me, I've done it everytime since then!!! Thanks for sharing such a special Valentine's. I totally forgot to take pictures of today's events. I'm such a bad mom!
I just sent you an email - but I don't know if your current address. Let me know if you didn't get it. So glad to catch up with you yesterday!!
Post a Comment