Sunday, February 08, 2009

Pee-Pee in the Potty

On exactly his 20-month birthday, Benjamin went pee-pee in the potty for the first time!! What a big boy!!

Now, I know it was most likely pure accident, but I was so excited nonetheless, and certainly carried on enough for him to know it was a big deal.

Here's the story: A few days ago, I bought a cheap little potty seat from Ikea to keep in the bathroom. Partially because Benjamin has recently shown interest in the potty (he absolutely LOVES to flush the toilet- and in fact, flushing is a reward for keeping still during diaper changes - and he also knows what to do with toilet paper - if you give him a piece, he'll wipe his bottom), and partially to keep in sync with his new school. You see, in his new class, they do all the diapering standing up. We have diapered Benjamin standing up for wet diapers for a few months now, but we were both way too intimidated to try changing poopy diapers standing up. But Ben's new teacher gave us a few pointers, and diaper changing has been WAY easier now that we do it standing up. The actual diapering part is a bit harder - but having a much more compliant child during the process makes it overall much easier (instead of trying to manage a thrashing toddler lying down). So, back to the story... At his new school, after the diaper is removed and the child cleaned up, they ask the child if he/she wants to sit on the toilet (an actual toilet in his school - very low to the ground). I wanted to keep the same ritual at home, so hence the purchase of a potty seat.

Ben definitely likes sitting on his potty seat from time to time - mostly he likes it with his clothes on. But tonight, as we were getting ready for bath, I took his clothes off, we flushed the toilet (no - nothing was in the toilet - just the reward for taking his clothes off), and I asked Benjamin if he would like to sit on the potty. He wanted to, so we got him on it, and after instructing me to also sit on the toilet (he likes company when on his potty seat), he sat there for a moment, and then looked at his penis, and what do you know, the kid was peeing! He immediately wanted to get up, so we got off the potty, took a look at what was inside (me cheering the whole time, except to instruct him, that no, we could not touch what was inside the potty). Then I wasn't sure quite what to do - I hadn't been expecting this! So I poured the pee in the toilet, wiped it up with some toilet paper, and we celebrated with another flush to send it all down.

Like I said - probably pure accident, but it was fun all the same!!

And now, a picture from this morning of Benjamin practicing (with Mark keeping him company, per Ben's request) - and no, neither of them are actually going (they are both fully clothed)... Oh, and they are currently cheering, which is what we do whenever Benjamin sits on the potty, period. :)

Congratulations, Benjamin! You're getting to be such a big boy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's awesome! he is so grown up, i love hearing these stories.

wow, i have never done the standing diaper changes. it sounds very tricky, so i'd be curious what their pointers were.

and besides the two cute guys in the photo, i got a little glimpse of a remodeled bathroom, too!

Anonymous said...

Okay, for your benefit Lara, and all others who are curious, here are the pointers. I know, I couldn't believe it either when this teacher said they do poopy diapers standing up, but it works. The adult sits on a small stool - I think you can see ours in the picture. Then the kiddo stands next to you, and you hold one foot and lift it up rather high so there's some air in between the cheeks. Then wipe away. There's not as much "visual feedback" as when you do it lying down but it's been good so far.

Anonymous said...

WOW!

That bathroom looks awesome! Such a change and I can only see a little bit!

Mark, the visual I get when you describe this technique cracks me up. Especially because I am thinking about my kids - they like to poop while being changed. I am envisioning what would happen.
>:-)

Go Ben!!!!

Anonymous said...

yay for ben!! and the bathroom looks great!

I laughed so hard at your clarification about the boys not actually going in the potty in the picture.