Sunday, December 30, 2007

Sleep Training - Day 2

Unless you have babies or are thinking about having them, this blog is probably getting terribly boring. Sorry about that - but sleep is a current obsession of mine. So here's the summary of day 2. I'm proud that Mark and I have been sticking to the plan. One more day until the "three day magic" is supposed to happen - although really, if we just see even a small consistent improvement, that will help keep us going for longer.

Nap #1: It took Mark 20 minutes to get him down (morning nap is the easiest). This is the same compared to yesterday's morning nap. He did sleep 10 minutes longer than yesterday though (30 min instead of 20 min).

Nap #2: This has been our biggest struggle. It took 1 hour 10 minutes to get him down today (same as yesterday), but it included a lot less wailing - still lots of fussing (I could handle this - he sounded frustrated instead of desperate), but also a lot less hands-on. He was pretty insistent that I sit next to the crib (wailing would arise if I tried to leave), but I didn't have to hold him, pour my entire upper half into the crib (which I did yesterday - trust me this is not very comfortable - particularly because the crib rail digs into ones armpit), or even pat him that much, so that's still an improvement. Just lots of paci replacement, and bouts of soothing touches when he got himself too worked up. Length wasn't so great - only took a 30 minute nap (there's something wrong with this picture when it takes over an hour to get a 30 minute nap out of this boy!). He definitely needed more sleep, but he had enough that he wasn't going to go down too easy, and I thought it better just to go ahead and get him up.

Bedtime - This is where we saw a great improvement. He only took 10 minutes to go to sleep!! Yeah, Ben! Last night he slept for 2 hours before waking up (improvement over 30-45 minutes prior). We'll see how long he stays down before getting up - it's been 45 minutes so far...

Look for Day 3 update tomorrow. Keep thinking good thoughts/praying for us!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's actually pretty cool to see if tiny improvements. Hopefully they'll be steady....

Anonymous said...

Make that "cool to see even tiny improvements." oops.

Casey said...

I will think good thoughts and will pray. It is not boring to read about this...it is just confusing becasue it is very foreign for me, but it is interesting also for the same reason.

Anonymous said...

We missed you two Friday!

Keep the posts coming. They are very interesting!

Katie said...

Thank you SO MUCH for putting this down in hard copy! Danielle is three months today, and I promised Erik I would start her on a nap schedule... so at least now I know what I'm getting into and can be prepared!!!