Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Sleep Training - Day 5 (Anyone Want a Baby?)

So by the subject line, you may be able to tell that I'm just a little frustrated. I'm trying very hard to be patient, but I just got done with 2 hours of sleep training. That included his 30 minutes of actual sleep.

So to be fair, we've definitely had ups and downs over the last few days. One of the highs included less than 1minute putting him down at his afternoon nap yesterday, where he slept for over an hour (of course Mark got to experience that, not me). Mark went back in his room for that one after about 20 minutes, to give him a pat when he tried to rise after his usual 30 minutes. It worked well, and he slept for another 30 minutes.

This morning nap was a low. I spent 30 minutes getting him to sleep. He slept for 30 minutes. After 20 minutes I went into his room with a magazine, so I could be like Mark and give him a few pats when he tried to get up after 30 minutes. It didn't work so well for me. 1 hour and 10 minutes later, I've given up, and he's sitting in his high chair whining because he's tired. We'll try again for his second nap in a couple of more hours.

But, we haven't given up, yet, although yesterday Mark had to convince me not to just let him cry it out. and maybe someday before this Boy turns 18, I'll be able to post about something other than sleep...

8 comments:

Casey said...

I am sorry to hear that...this sounds frustrating. Keep it up though! Eventually things will get better!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Katherine and Mark... I know it isn't your preferred method, but the only thing we found that really worked for our Ben was crying it out. We did it gradually, going in after 5, then 10, then 15 mins etc., checking on him, patting him for a minute, but not picking him up. Still works, as we've had to re-sleep train him numerous times (after trips, sickness, etc.)

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Yuck.

And you are one who really values sleep too. I hope that all of your hard work pays off. I am glad I know its going to be like this now, instead of going in with rose colored goggles when I Ryan JR arrives.

Anonymous said...

Mel, are you having a baby??? Congrats, I didn't know. Gerbs...wow am I so sorry that this is such a batlle. Keep fighting the good fight! To victory!

Liz

Anonymous said...

Hahah...

Hold your horses Liz! Ryan and I arent THAT far along in our relationship. I am speaking of sometime more of the far future.

:-)

Katie said...

Stay strong! It will be worth it when you get that straight 8 hours of sleep some day! It is probably easier for Mark b/c Ben can smell the mommy weakness in you!
I just went to sign up Danielle for daycare and started sobbing, so we left without signing her up!

El Oso Furioso said...

I promise that eventually he'll sleep through, and when he does all this will seem like so long ago... You know, I hear nice lawn furniture is extremely effective in getting the baby to sleep through--but only if you're really brave. Next time you see us ask me how.

JandNmom said...

You guys just hang in there! Do what you feel is right. I must not have the mommy weakness because Dan is usally the one who gives in. There will come a day when Ben is sleeping well, and you will enjoy it. I'll never forget when Josh started sleeping through the night until 8 in the morning. Of course, it took me a couple of weeks to not go in and check on him at 4 or 5 in the morning.