Hi friends, this is Mark writing. Tomorrow is a big, big day - a day that marks the end of a very special time. It's Katherine's last day at home before returning to work. I don't remember thinking this was such a big deal when she went back after Ben was born. It happened sooner for one thing - he was only three months old. Perhaps the extra four months were enough to lull me into thinking this was a permanent arrangement. But also, I think Katherine has really embraced and enjoyed the life of a domestic engineer this time, much more so than before.
Perhaps the least expected accomplishment is that she has become a very good cook. This has always been my domain, and I enjoy it. But it's been a serious blast to watch her gain skill and especially to work together on meals. I'm hoping we can do a lot more cooking together in the years to come. Today for lunch, she made these amazing sandwiches - not just some turkey on bread with the usual condiments and fixings. This sandwich was legitimate restaurant fare: ham, sliced apple, edam cheese, smeared with a concoction of apple butter, dried mustard, and grated onion, sandwiched between cinnamon raisin toast. It was superb!
You know that statistic you hear sometimes? The one that says women do 70% of the housework, even in families where both parties work outside the home. I used to take pride that it wasn't that way in our house. Well...now it is. It really has been a wonderful gift she's given me by doing so much of that stuff the last few months.
Most importantly, she's been a fantastic mother to Katie and Benjamin. Katie's been a challenging baby, sometimes pushing me to the point of meltdowns. But Katherine handles her (and me) with skill and patience. She reads the baby books so we know what to expect or why Katie's upset at a particular stage. She is excellent at choosing age appropriate toys for Ben that are engaging without over stimulating. She organizes everything, and actually enjoys the process. How many people actually look forward to reaching into the tupperware drawer? I do now. She does that for the kids' stuff too, including rotating toys Montessori style. Our kids are well loved.
One thing I thoroughly enjoy about all this is that neither of us knew this side of her when we got married. In fact, I was attracted to her in part because of how driven she was in terms of developing a career. People change over the course of years, and that's one of the cool things about marriage. We now get to experience this whole new facet of Katherine. Thanks honey, it's been a wonderful seven months!
Sunday, October 31, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Wow. Thanks, Mark. I am a bit teary, and definitely feel well-appreciated!
It really has been such a special gift to be able to spend these months home with my family. And I am proud that I adapted to and actually enjoyed being a stay-at-home mom. I was a bit overwhelmed by the idea of it at first - and had always been a bit intimidated by SAHMs, thinking it was not something I would be able to handle.
Hopefully these newly-learned skills will help ease the transition back into the working mom lifestyle.
And while Mark gives me lots of props, he is a wonderful father, husband and contributor to our household himself! He has selflessly shared so much of his time and energy with his family since Ben was born that it was nice to be able to give him a little bit of a break for a few months. But here, we go again, Mark. You are back on duty! :) We can do this - I love you!
Awwww! I love this post! And I love your comment Katherine! I had such a big smile on my face and a warm fuzzy feeling inside as I read the blog. :-)
Mark long ago I went to college a couple of weeks early for band camp. Katherine came with me. While I was gone all day long, she unpacked all of the boxes, organized and decorated for me. It was awesome. That was the easiest move in for school I have ever had. And I also loved reaching into my well organized drawers! :-)
Aww! That was a really sweet post!
Okay, that is SO SWEET. Katherine, when do you publish your first recipe book and add Author to your list of accomplishments?!
Wow wow wow - what an awesome note from a husband to his wife. It couldn't be more honest, uplifting, and loving.
Katherine - I LOVE talking to you because I feel you're the only other one I know who's had to really learn all this SAHM stuff! I really feel calculus is easier :). And we are so blessed to have encouraging husbands there through our journey - what a blessing! Someday, I hope I feel that I've "mastered" all the domestic skills :) I know it's a long journey - but I do think I've come a long way in the last year, just as you say you have. Keep up the blog and hope your transition goes well!!!
Way to go Katherine and Mark! What a great post! I can understand where Mark is coming from, because I love the summers when Aaron is home to be domestic. Enjoy this next stage of your family!
Katherine - I could use someone with your talents here in NY! Let me know when you want to visit. ;-)
Post a Comment