Monday, August 30, 2010

Work is awesome

Hi friends. This is Mark writing. I'll admit up front that this is a somewhat dorky post, but today was special and I thought it was worth writing down. I won't be offended if you stop reading shortly. The event: simply going back to work with the orchestra after a vacation period. But here's what made it cool:

1. It is rewarding to return to doing something I love. There's no question I'm extremely fortunate to have this period each summer of four to five weeks off. Perhaps only teachers have a similar benefit. I really don't take it for granted. We had a great time working outside, traveling, cooking fun dinners, spending time with both kids, and enjoying a generally lighter schedule. But there's something about the rigidity of work that is appealing. There's really nothing else in our lives that is absolutely set in stone."You WILL be here between the hours of such and such." And I really do love playing classical music. There are, of course, ups and downs like with any job. But the highs are very high - involving passion, emotion, and beauty. It's fantastic. 

2. Employment is a significant blessing. We've had some friends recently and in our past go through long periods of job hunting. It has to be among life's most arduous and unpleasant tasks. In fact, one of the things I really liked about seeking an orchestral post is that the path to a job is clearly defined. It was plenty challenging, but there wasn't really any networking, endless resume posting, career workshops, etc. Auditions are announced publicly, you send your resume. If invited, you show up, play and hope for the best. Unemployment in America is high right now, orchestras here and there are folding. I am extremely fortunate to have a job performing music.

3. Here's the dorky part. I love cymbals, I really do. I know, many of you are imagining Far Side cartoons, or muttering something to yourself about banging trash can lids. Hmmph. In the orchestra, I get assigned a variety of percussion instruments. In our usual arrangement with my colleagues, I play the mallet instruments most often - xylophone, bells, etc. I love those too, but I play them enough that I get my fill. I have the same affection for cymbals, but don't play them as often, so it's a treat to play a good cymbal part. Today, the rehearsal began with Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries." You probably know the tune. There's a lengthy trombone and trumpet melody, which, at its peak, is punctuated by a beautiful, loud cymbal crash - my first note after vacation. That alone would be cool, but what made it even better was the cymbals I was playing. They're made by a guy in Italy named Roberto Spizzichino. Each custom made, by the hands of a true artisan. They are the Stradivarius of cymbals. They cost a fortune, and we had to do a lot of pleading and dealing with the management to purchase this particular pair. The sound is magnificent, and PERFECTLY suited for this note in Ride of the Valkyries. It was just a real joy to come back from vacation, and have that be my first note. The whole program was rewarding, but highlighted by that one note.

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading!

8 comments:

Katherine said...

Adorable. A little dorky, maybe, but a whole lot adorable. I'm glad you like your job! And it was fun to see you come home again in your suit after about a month of t-shirts and jean shorts. :)

And Benjamin returned to school today. So I guess just Katie and I need to figure out whatever we will do with ourselves with our boys both busy. I think we'll manage.

Steve said...

This is a great post. I meant to comment last time you posted about your job, but didn't get around to it. I love this sort of thing. Maybe because I love my job too. It's hard to convey the passion you have for something most people don't understand. (Although I guess people have a much better idea what it's like to make music than to design circuits, but still). Not enough people talk about how they love their jobs. Maybe because not enough people do love their jobs, but also I think people are afraid they're bragging or something, when really it's just a feeling of, this makes me happy, I want to talk about it. Keep it up.

Katie said...

Loving your job is an incredible gift and I have no doubt that you are great at what you do, too!

Casey said...

Mark, I always enjoy reading your posts about your work! I don't think it is dorky at all (but of course, I was also a band nerd in middle school and high school so I can understand your enthusiasm).

lara said...

thanks for sharing your passion. it is so great to hear someone who is genuinely happy about their employment and how it makes them feel. thanks for sharing a piece of that feeling with us.

Crystal said...

I'm happy that you are so happy!

Mark said...

Jean shorts?! Yeah, I own a pair but it's not like I wear them all the time. Rarely in fact. You think it's time to retire them?

stephanie said...

I, too, am in the category of band nerd and am so envious that you get to make it your career. Each time you write about performing with the symphony I can feel how special it is to you and how creating something amazing makes you feel amazing. The joy you get out of your job is really inspirational...so keep those non-dorky posts coming!!