Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Fun Outside

Well hello everyone! This is Mark writing. It's been over a month since I made a contribution to the blog so I thought it high time to get on it. Katie has been kicking our butts lately with her sleep habits. Katherine will probably write more about that soon, but I think there's definitely been some improvement since we started working hard at sleep training. Aside from that, Benjamin and I have been spending a good chunk of time everyday working and playing outside. This is a major win-win situation. The garage remodel is moving right along, the shrubs are trimmed, and most importantly, Ben has gotten his much needed time to run around being a boy.
    Here are some of his activities:

Digging, either with shovels or his excavator
Sandbox
Running through sprinklers
Mowing the lawn with the umbrella stroller
Riding a tricycle
"Washing" the car
Climbing on the car
Practicing hula hoop
Helping daddy hammer and sweep in the garage
Helping daddy haul things to the shed

Pretty good list huh? Seriously, it's been a tremendous amount of fun to have him out there with me while I work on the garage. And it feels so good to be able to actually get stuff done WHILE he's playing. It wasn't very long ago that he had to be watched continually for fear of running into the street. We're still very mindful of his whereabouts but he's able to be safely play much more independently.
    We've been doing this in the late afternoon which, surprisingly, has not been terribly hot. Yes, it is quite warm and very humid (we both immediately take bath/shower afterward), but the sun is not merciless like earlier in the day. And, is it possible? Perhaps I am getting just a bit acclimated to the Texas heat? I remember growing up in Dallas, where it's even warmer than here, I never hesitated to go outside because of the heat.
    Here are lots of pictures. Sorry Katie, only one of you. She's getting more adorable everyday. Four months is nearing the height of baby cuteness I think. We really need to do a Picasa upload. Watch for that soon...

Everything's all packed up and placed neatly in the center of the garage. The former owner had installed DOZENS of little shelves between the studs, now almost all removed. This guy was a nail fanatic too - used to hang tools I guess - now all removed. 

Beautiful isn't it? Like a blank canvas, just waiting to be adorned.


What a great helper!


It's important to wear safety goggles when mowing the lawn.

Apparently it's not as important to protect the rest of oneself. 

What a cutie!

3 comments:

lara said...

ha! i just noticed k's back to work calendar at the top. that's funny.

loved the post about your outdoor adventures. it is so much fun to have a kid who can do things "with" you and around you and still be able to accomplish something, too. i love those moments and stages with all of our kids (well, nora isn't much into the doing things stage yet). and thanks for including photos! i can't wait for a picasa upload and also to watch your shop take shape.

Casey said...

Very cute!

Melissa said...

I loved this update Mark. I feel your pain with the whole sleep issue (Ian is regressing). I cant wait to see what you do with the garage!