Saturday, March 10, 2007

Six Months Pregnant

I'm officially in the third trimester!! It feels like I've been pregnant for a long time now, but the fact that I only have three months to get everything done before Ziggy arrives is still a bit daunting.
I've mixed some of the 5 & 6 month experiences in the entry I posted earlier this morning, so this one will likely be a bit shorter. Basically, the sixth month of pregnancy was similar to the fifth month - lots more home organization, stronger kicks on Ziggy's part. One change though, is this past month, I've gotten much better at exercise. Mark and I have resumed our relatively long walks, which have actually gotten easier as I've built back up some strength. In the last couple of weeks, we have walked to the grocery store, library, bank, and my favorite - the Shell station - to buy Hostess cupcakes!! It's probably a good thing that the exercise (well, at least the walking part of the exercise) has come back a little easier, because my sweet tooth is uncontrollable! I crave candy, cookies, chocolate ALL THE TIME! I've always had a sweet tooth, but it subsided quite a bit during the first trimester (Mountain Dews didn't even sound all that good!), but has progressively gotten stronger over the last couple of months. Our order of three boxes of girl scout cookies arrived last Friday night - they were gone by Sunday night. To my credit, Mark did help me out a bit - especially with the peanut butter patties, but I still take most of the credit for polishing off all those cookies. I went in for the glucose screening test yesterday, and am a bit nervous how it will come out, because it's going to take A LOT of willpower to cut out the candy. In fact, when I'm done with this blog, I'm headed to the grocery store to get a mountain dew (don't worry - this is indeed a rare treat - only once a week or so), and stuff to make smores tonight for dinner (and of course, normal groceries too). I feel a bit guilty about eating so much sugar, but in truth, I'm still eating a lot less sweets than I really want to eat - and I'm doing reasonably well balancing this all out with healthy foods, especially eating a lot more fruits & vegetables than I normally do to offset all this sugar consumption.

This past weekend, we put up shelves in one of our guest room closets so that we could clear a bunch of percussion stuff out of the formal dining room so that we can move our study in there - clearing out the small bedroom so we can make it a nursery. So during your next visit, you'll be able to peruse music & percussion accessories from the comfort of your stay in our guest room! :)















Mark studiously reviews some music in front of his closet:



















My mom has made an adorable crib set with matching wall quilt, so I'm excited to get the nursery set up and put it all out. We still need to buy a crib & changing table (although we're likely going to buy a dresser, and use a changing pad on top of that instead of buying an actual table), and paint the walls (either a light tan or a bold yellow - haven't decided yet), but as long as we have the nursery ready about a month before Ziggy's scheduled arrival, I'll be comfortable.

WORK:
Now that I'm a little less frantic about the birth experience & having the right doctor, I'm facing the indecision of how long to take off work, and in what capacity to come back. Mark and I had originally decided that we wanted for me to take 3 months off when he's born, and then go back part-time (20-30 hrs per week) after that. We're also shooting for me to have a flexible work schedule, so that we won't have to worry about day care - ie with Mark's schedule, I could still be in the office during work hours 20 hours a week, it would just vary widely, which days/hours I was there from week to week. ExxonMobil's policies support that (in fact, I can take 6 months off (unpaid) and return part-time for up to 2 years), although I'm not sure about the flexible hours part of it, but I'm feeling a little guilty because I just started a new assignment in January, and don't want to be a big hassle. On top of that, my Project Manager is not thrilled about someone coming in to replace me for three months, and so all involved are talking about just leaving my position vacant when I'm gone. That may be feasible, as I think my project won't have too much terribly pressing during that time (reach a project milestone right around my due date), but I also don't want to come back to a pile of work that has to get done done immediately upon my return. Also, now I'm thinking that I may want to actually take the full 6 months off, or at least more than three months, as it's a unique opportunity that I won't have again (or until we have another baby). But I also could go a little crazy being home for that long, and the extra income is always nice! :) It's tough to make this decision when I really don't know what it's going to feel like to be a mom, and how much energy (or interest) I'll have to work. I'll keep you posted.

I'm sure I've left something out, but that's all I can think to write for now. To leave you, here are the six month pictures. Since the five months were actually taken at 5.5 months, there isn't a whole lot different. Just a different shirt, I guess. :)















































7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just to clarify, we don't eat smores for dinner. We eat regular dinners with smores afterward. :)

Casey said...

Wow, you look pregnant now! This so so exciting...not that it wasn't exciting before, but I couldn't picture prego before!

I don't know if you are taking votes, but I am voting that you paint the room bright yellow! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, you're seriously pregnant! It's really cool to see and to see you in maternity clothes. I can't wait to see you in person! You guys have done some amazing work. After just finishing the painting in our basement this afternoon, I can confirm that it is quite impressive to tackle home improvement while six+ months pregnant. Way to go!

Anonymous said...

Do you have to decide now about your job or will they let you wait and decide whether it's 3 or 6 months after you've had the baby and know more what it feels like? I would take all the time you can get to make your decision. I agree that it is hard to know how you're going to feel when you actually have the baby. Could you also say that you're going to take the six months and then if you are going crazy at home by three months and really want to go back, decide that then? I think it's awesome that they even have those policies for you to consider.

Anonymous said...

Hello Katherine! Just caught up on your blog before your visit to CO in a few weeks. We are looking forward to seeing you and Mark! If the job will allow, take AT LEAST 4 months (my unsolicited opinion). You will not be sleeping much, especially if you are nursing. I was ready to go back at 4 months, but if I had to do it over again, I would have taken 6 months.

Anonymous said...

You are soooo lucky that your company has such a flexible policy! Rush gives you three weeks for free and then the rest of the time you have to either take vacation time or (unpaid) Family Leave. It will be interesting when the time comes for me to make a decision...

Katie said...

Hi Katherine! Liz send me your blog... how exciting! I am a few months behind you...due in October. You look fabulous, I hope I get that pregnancy glow soon!
Mine's not much, but good for a laugh or too... http://babyz2007.blogspot.com/
-Katie (Cimino) Zeliasz