It's been a while since I posted an update. So here goes...
I'm now 19 weeks pregnant. Next week is the half-way point, and Mark is off Friday night so we are going to go out to dinner to celebrate. The second trimester IS proving to be a happier and more magical place. I have MUCH more energy (some days even rival pre-pregnancy energy) - the nausea is gone, and the mood swings are more infrequent and less severe.
With all this magical newfound second trimesterism, though, comes the aches and pains of pregnancy. I don't actually feel all that pregnant, although I am into maternity clothes (not the huge tent kind yet, but I found items that are supposed to grow with you that I'm wearing now, as only a few of my former items of clothing fit anymore). Yesterday, however, I DID feel very pregnant, as I took a brisk walk with Will while Mark took a short run, and it wore me out. Now this wasn't even that aggressive of a walk, but it felt like so much effort while I was doing it!! And then I got home with all sorts of plans for the afternoon, but no energy to do them. I made it through the first few items I intended to get done, but by about 5 PM I was on the couch, exhausted. I pretty much stayed there until bed.
The other discomfort I've got is achy ribs. I thought this was strange - whoever heard of your ribs aching? It started out as back pain - but I thought it was in a rather unusual place - the middle of my back, not my lower back. And then I started noticing that when I laid on one side, the bottom of my rib cage would ache, so I would switch sides until the other side ached. And then I figured out that part of my back that hurt was probably where my rib cage attached to it (my own non-medical theory). I've had one friend who also experienced ribcage pain during pregnancy, so I guess I'm not the first case. But it is a bit weird.
Also, I think I've got a bit more estrogen working through my body - as on New Year's eve and day I decided that I wanted to bake. And I didn't just bake a little - I made 2 batches of brownies and 2 batches of cookies, including homemade frosting to go on the cookies! Now I admit, there were a few things prompting me to do all this baking: First, we got a kitchen aid mixer for Christmas (wonderful - highly recommend if you don't have one), I also got new cookie sheets, and I had 2 boxes of bakers chocolate that were about to expire. Truthfully, I think it's the bakers chocolate that put me over the edge. I have issues with throwing away food - so my OCD-self felt the need to use it all up. From this experiment, though, I have come to the conclusion that cookies/brownies made with bakers chocolate are better than those made with cocoa powder. The peanut butter drizzled brownies were the best of my baking efforts - remind me to make some for you the next time I see you.
We've also got a bit of the nesting going on - however, that's not really new to me. I've always been a bit of a homebody. And I LOVE to organize. If I could make a living organizing things, I'd be there in a heartbeat. We bought one of those closetmaid systems for one of our hall closets, which I turned into a linen closet. FUN FUN! Now I just need to organize the other hall closet, move Mark's percussion stuff from his current music office into it's own closet, move our study into his old music office, paint the old study (new baby's room), tear out the wallpaper and paint the hall bath and remove the sunroom from the back or our house and convert it to a patio- and then we'll be all done with the projects that we had intended to complete before Ziggy arrives. Oh, and I forgot to mention, finish up just a few items in our kitchen, cut a new vent hole for our dryer, and put up two cabinets above our dryer. Four and half months to get this all done - no sweat, right? :)
Anyways, hopefully that provides a bit of an update. Next Monday we go in for the 20-week ultrasound - so be looking for more pictures of skeletor soon!
And, of course here are my four-month pictures:

I'm now 19 weeks pregnant. Next week is the half-way point, and Mark is off Friday night so we are going to go out to dinner to celebrate. The second trimester IS proving to be a happier and more magical place. I have MUCH more energy (some days even rival pre-pregnancy energy) - the nausea is gone, and the mood swings are more infrequent and less severe.
With all this magical newfound second trimesterism, though, comes the aches and pains of pregnancy. I don't actually feel all that pregnant, although I am into maternity clothes (not the huge tent kind yet, but I found items that are supposed to grow with you that I'm wearing now, as only a few of my former items of clothing fit anymore). Yesterday, however, I DID feel very pregnant, as I took a brisk walk with Will while Mark took a short run, and it wore me out. Now this wasn't even that aggressive of a walk, but it felt like so much effort while I was doing it!! And then I got home with all sorts of plans for the afternoon, but no energy to do them. I made it through the first few items I intended to get done, but by about 5 PM I was on the couch, exhausted. I pretty much stayed there until bed.
The other discomfort I've got is achy ribs. I thought this was strange - whoever heard of your ribs aching? It started out as back pain - but I thought it was in a rather unusual place - the middle of my back, not my lower back. And then I started noticing that when I laid on one side, the bottom of my rib cage would ache, so I would switch sides until the other side ached. And then I figured out that part of my back that hurt was probably where my rib cage attached to it (my own non-medical theory). I've had one friend who also experienced ribcage pain during pregnancy, so I guess I'm not the first case. But it is a bit weird.
Also, I think I've got a bit more estrogen working through my body - as on New Year's eve and day I decided that I wanted to bake. And I didn't just bake a little - I made 2 batches of brownies and 2 batches of cookies, including homemade frosting to go on the cookies! Now I admit, there were a few things prompting me to do all this baking: First, we got a kitchen aid mixer for Christmas (wonderful - highly recommend if you don't have one), I also got new cookie sheets, and I had 2 boxes of bakers chocolate that were about to expire. Truthfully, I think it's the bakers chocolate that put me over the edge. I have issues with throwing away food - so my OCD-self felt the need to use it all up. From this experiment, though, I have come to the conclusion that cookies/brownies made with bakers chocolate are better than those made with cocoa powder. The peanut butter drizzled brownies were the best of my baking efforts - remind me to make some for you the next time I see you.
We've also got a bit of the nesting going on - however, that's not really new to me. I've always been a bit of a homebody. And I LOVE to organize. If I could make a living organizing things, I'd be there in a heartbeat. We bought one of those closetmaid systems for one of our hall closets, which I turned into a linen closet. FUN FUN! Now I just need to organize the other hall closet, move Mark's percussion stuff from his current music office into it's own closet, move our study into his old music office, paint the old study (new baby's room), tear out the wallpaper and paint the hall bath and remove the sunroom from the back or our house and convert it to a patio- and then we'll be all done with the projects that we had intended to complete before Ziggy arrives. Oh, and I forgot to mention, finish up just a few items in our kitchen, cut a new vent hole for our dryer, and put up two cabinets above our dryer. Four and half months to get this all done - no sweat, right? :)
Anyways, hopefully that provides a bit of an update. Next Monday we go in for the 20-week ultrasound - so be looking for more pictures of skeletor soon!
And, of course here are my four-month pictures:



7 comments:
Yeah! An update with pictures! I actually kind of enjoyed being pregnant (once I had energy again) because of the excitement that motivates you to get things done before the baby comes. And you can get huge and not feel super self-conscious because you're just doing your job. I'm sure you and Mark can tackle all those projects - you guys are amazing! And I'm definitely putting a request in for those brownies in April!
Congratulations Gerbs! I love the pic of you!!! You look so cute... and hey... Ziggy is a great name.. you know you will always call him that!
Sorry.. this is Jamie... I am just SO Happy for you ! And I love all the blogs! A boy! You will be so good at being a mommy!
Yes! Finally! The next installment of this real-life soap opera! I can't believe you are halfway! And you look pregnant now! Thanks for the update! I can't wait to see skeletor again!
Ah, the nesting and the "less severe" mood swings. It brings back so many memories like it just happened... well, you know what I mean.
Looking forward to Ziggy's new pictures.
A hot Momma!
I am so glad you are posting pictures. I cant wait to see your belly in a few months!
Please bring the brownie recipe along too! :-)
Melissa
Post a Comment