Friday, April 16, 2010

Random fun things

Hi everyone! This is Mark writing. Yes, we have a lot going on with a new baby in the house, but I wanted to write down a few fun things about Ben that have been going on lately. For sure, one of the joys of being a parent is seeing traits of Katherine or me popping up in Benjamin. Or seeing him enjoying things that one of us did as a youngster. For example, it's clear that he shares his mom's extrovertedness. If he's jumping around by himself, or doing a puzzle, or whatever, he's a lot happier doing it with someone in the room, even if they're just watching. He's gotten into a couple of things lately that I remember fondly as a little boy. First is the series of Mr. books - Mr. Small, Mr. Strong, Mr. Fussy, Mr. Clumsy, etc. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Men for more info. I remember having this whole set as a kid and really enjoying them. Lately, Ben has been enjoying them too, the exact same pages I read about 30 years ago. They're pretty long for a 2.85 year old, but we read them, and he obviously digs listening. Sometimes we can read three or four at a time. He even reads them by himself in the car. Okay, maybe not reading but reciting whatever lines he remembers, which is quite a few.
     Next, he's really into back scratches. I hope all of you have someone in your life that regularly scratches your back. Not for an itch, but just for the pleasure of touch. For me, it's definitely one of the perks of being married. But I got back scratches as a little boy too - we called them "tickles." Not sure why, I guess because they tickle just a little bit. They were a big help winding down before bed and a good way to bond with mom or dad. Benjamin has never before enjoyed it when we scratched his back, but lately he's been saying "Back scratches please." It seems to help him too drift toward sleep. We ask, "Does it tickle?" He responds, "Yeah, I like it when it tickles." SO CUTE!
    It's fun to see these little nuggets in life come full circle to the next generation. Of course, other things do too. Like belching. Not that I ever belched, especially in college. But Ben has learned to swallow a gulp of air and send it back out with some sound. We're working on saying "excuse me" and such, but deep down I'm chuckling. :-)
    By the way, we added some more pictures to the picasa site a few days ago.

http://picasaweb.google.com/katherine.griffith

One picture just cuz it's so darn cute

4 comments:

Crystal said...

My nephews love the little Mr. Books too. They're so funny!

lara said...

thanks for the update and all the new photos! hope life is going well for all for you.

Kim said...

I love the pictures. Thanks for updating them so we can see your cute kids.

Anonymous said...

Ahh!! How cute! My boys seem to be a lot like how Aaron was as a little boy. I wasn't there, but he and his mom tell stories. That pic is too cute! Is Ben adjusting well to his new sister?